For up to 3.0m high elements we recommend the following specifications of surfacing to comply with BS EN 1177 as long as it is not in conflict with the usability:
- Eco Surface recycled bound rubber mulch with the relevant critical fall height.
- Safergrass – Grass mats with the relevant critical fall height.
Other surfacing options that can be used but may be in conflict with the overall usability of the facility include:
- Rubber crumb EPDM wetpour or similar product with relevant critical fall height.
- Washed and tumbled pea gravel with a particle size of 6mm recommended minimum depth 300mm
- Rubber tiles with relevant critical fall height.
- Playgrade sand with relevant critical fall height, recommended minimum depth 400mm
- Playgrade bark with relevant critical fall height, recommended minimum depth 300mm
Other surfacing options may be available to comply to BS EN 1177 For exact specification please refer to the relevant British Standards and individual supplier information.
Care should be taken when installing the elements to ensure the top of the elements are not higher than 3.0m above the proposed finished surface level.
The above surfacing information is to be used as a guideline only as there are many other forms of surfacing available that would attain the required critical fall heights.
As there is no specific standard for Parkour Training Facilities, the recommendations within BS EN 1176 and 1177 have been used as guidelines for all surfacing specifications and freespaces.
Where the surfacing may inhibit use of the Parkour Training Facility the area in question should be assessed in the risk assessment and auctioned as deemed necessary.